Jeanne's elderhood journey

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

mid-week check-in

Well, I pulled out the old Stretching VHS tape and gave it a try over the weekend.  Felt virtuous while doing it, but something about the exercises threw my neck out of alignment.  Hadn't felt that chronic pain in months (since I haven't been doing the kind of intensive writing that was required for Drop the Knife).  See, told ya so.  Well, on the plus side, the sore neck only lasted a day. 

Bill O'Hanlon (author of Do One Thing Different and Thriving Through Crisis) always has creative, solution-focused suggestions.  Here's his list for How to Keep Change Going:
  • Remind yourself of the price you pay or will pay for not changing.
  • Enlist friends or supporters to help you change, remind you, and keep you on track.
  • Link change to positive consequences and activities (for example, I keep myself exercising regularly by listening to favorite audio programs when I walk).
  • Don't attend to the feelings and preferences of the moment, but rather attend to the commitment to change or the new action or habit.
  • Take the long-term rather than short-term view
  • Take risks--remember the old saying:  If you fall on your face, at least you're heading in the right direction.
OK, so I'm going to re-read Bill's book, Do One Thing Different:  Ten Simple Ways to Change Your Life. And unlike the first time through, I'm going to do some of the exercises!

No comments:

Post a Comment